On September 4, 1576, the Senate decided that the Doge should announce
the vow to erect a church dedicated to the Redentore (Redeemer),
in return for help in ending the plague.
year, on the anniversary of the day that the city was publicly proclaimed
free of the disease, the Venetians pay homage at the basilica in
memory of the good brought to the city.